Support Your Media Day
What is Support Your Media Day?
Support Your Media Day is a one-day virtual fundraiser that encourages our communities to contribute to independent media organizations through a single online giving platform on Feb 15, 2012. The campaign is coordinated by The Media Consortium, in partnership with TMC member organizations.
What’s the goal?
The vision of Support Your Media Day is a community where our constituencies are actively engaged in supporting and strengthening your work. There are three primary goals:
- Build Community - Use game theory to bring new donors to our sector and facilitate conversations and relationships.
- Build a New, Sustainable Income Stream - Create a new funding stream for independent media organizations to year-round.
- Build Awareness - Educate the community on the positive impact independent media has on their lives and on democracy.
How does it work?
All donations on SupportYourMedia.razoo.com will be made to the Razoo Foundation; a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization which permits donors to advise a regranting of their donations to other IRS recognized qualifying 501(c)(3) organizations. It is Razoo Foundation’s normal practice to regrant 97.1% of its contribution to the qualifying organization as advised by the donor, retaining 2.9% for Razoo Foundation’s expenses (including credit card transaction costs).
Why should my nonprofit organization participate?
In this one-day event, we will harness our collective resources to work both together and in friendly competition with each other to raise money for each participating media consortium member. We are building on the successful model employed for years by public media, but enhanced with new experimental features ranging new online fundraising technology, gaming mechanics, organizational collaboration, and community fundsourcing. Support Your Media Day is an opportunity to…
- Transform a typically slow time for fundraising into an annual time of giving.
- Raise awareness of the work you do as part of a larger sector.
- Experiment with community-fueled fundraising.
- Build long-term online fundraising capacity for your organization.
Who is able to participate?
Any member of The Media Consortium that is in good standing. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to sign up.
What do we do?
To make the day a success for all participating organizations, we are asking you to…
- Create a landing page for you organization using the Razoo platform. (Learn how to do this an access other helpful information from the TMC toolkit).
- Broadcast the campaign’s message using existing communication networks (examples include, but aren’t limited to: newsletters, email blasts, facebook page, etc.)
- Utilize the campaign’s logo and message consistent with the attached brand guidelines.
- Secure matching grants and prizes to entice your donors.
- Contribute to a planning committee and/or outreach events.
What are my organization’s next steps?
- Register here: SupportYourMedia.razoo.com
- Set up a page with Razoo. Training materials are included in the TMC toolkit.
- Decide how to contribute. Each organization is asked to use their network to market the event and to participate in outreach events and/or coordinating committees.
- Stay tuned! Look for regular updates from TMC staff and our volunteer organizing committee about how your organization can be involved. Upcoming events include tech support webinars, training events, and best practices overviews.